Q: Options for Defining a Flat Upper Lip? I have a problem with my lips. The bottom one is fine but the top lip is pretty flat and has no shape to it. It does not have the youthful sexy indent or definition. Basically it is almost as flat as my bottom lip. Is there a surgery to change this....I am content with the size of my lips but not the shape. Would I be a candidate for a small lip implant?
A: Your Best Options for Defining a 'Flat' Upper Lip
You can choose either a lip implant OR a surgical lip augmentation.
If you choose a "long-lasting" implant, there are numerous substances that I commonly use as a graft or implant material in the lips. Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- AlloDerm is a popular human-donor grafting material that is FDA approved and proven safe in lip augmentation and facial reconstruction. Under a local anesthesia, the material is inserted through tiny incisions made in the inside corners of the mouth. Delicate absorbable stitches that dissolve are used. The material is often absorbed, so that the results are only temporary, lasting from 12-18 months. This procedure takes about 15 minutes in the office under local anesthesia.
- Fat grafting produces lasting results in most of the people who try it. Although it is possible that the body will reabsorb it, many people choose fat grafting because they are most comfortable with using the fat from their own body to enhance their lips. The fat is harvested from another area of the body, often the abdomen. It is then prepared and inserted with a needle into the lip from more than one point.
- SurgiSil is new to the market but promises a safe, definitive solution for long-lasting tissue augmentation.Surgisil is a patented, FDA approved device designed for tissue augmentation of the lips and has undergone extensive clinical testing to ensure its safety and efficacy. It is made of a soft, solid silicone elastomer using an injection molding process to produce a naturally contoured implant with a smooth, non-porous surface. The implant cannot rupture or deflate, and may be removed at any time. I have see great results with this product.
If you opt for Lip Augmentation through a Surgical Solution, you will certainly have a long-lasting result.
- Surgical enhancement of the lips provides a long-lasting alternative to injections and implants.
- Surgical enhancement usually takes less than one hour to perform in office under local anesthesia.
- Careful and fine incisions are created to shape the lips into their desired shape and form.
- Direct Lip Lifting creates a fuller upper and/or lower lip with imperceptible incisions. This precise procedure allows the patient to state just how full you want your lip and that is where I can place the new lip line.
- As the lip ages, the corner of the mouth tends to droop. Other procedures such as the Corner of the Lip Lift enable the lip to be reshaped so that the frown can be improved and a youthful upturned lip can be achieved.
- Local flaps bring material from inside the mouth outside to enhance the lips. Results are long-lasting. An incision may be made inside the mouth to push the tissue inside the mouth upward, and outward, into the lip, sometimes in conjunction with grafting. Or, an incision may be along the upper lip line. In this case, skin above the lip is removed, and the lip is then stitched along the line of the incision.
Please call our office at 321.727.3223 to schedule your appointment and see what options are available for you.
Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Florida Facial Plastic Surgeon